Wednesday, May 23, 2012

White House Ghosts

"Now about those ghosts, I'm sure they're here and I'm not half so alarmed at meeting up with any of them as I am at having to meet the living nuts I have to see every day." Bess Truman, wife of Harry Truman about ghosts in the White House. Truman openly talked about hearing a knock upon his door in the residence and answering it saw nothing in the hall--he attributed it to the ghost of Abe Lincoln. People have been talking about the phantoms since the Lincoln administration with Mary Todd telling of hearing Andy Jackson and holding seances in the Red Room of the executive mansion. The Mrs. Grant said she saw Lincoln who is rumored to be the most seen of the ghosts but, according to legend, he only appears when the nation is in trouble. Maureen Reagan is said to have encountered him in the Lincoln Bedroom. I would love to investigate that old house but I don't believe that's going to happen anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment